Wednesday, April 3, 2013

New York Woman Sentenced For Embezzling $338K From Gay Community Center


Sobbing ex-head of Bronx gay community center sentenced to at least 2 years in prison for stealing funds

By DOUGLAS MONTERO

Last Updated: 4:54 PM, April 1, 2013

Posted: 11:54 AM, April 1, 2013

The disgraced former head of a Bronx gay community center sobbed in court today -- apologizing and making excuses -- before she was sentenced to at least two years behind bars for embezzlement.

Blubbering Lisa Winters was led away in cuffs after Bronx Supreme Court Justice Martin Marcus signed off a deal that’ll keep her locked up for two to six years.

She pleaded guilty to second-degree larceny on Feb. 14, in connection to her $338,000 rip-off of the Bronx Community Pride Center.

Winters siphoned the money to pay for personal expenses such as a dog walker and expensive meals.

“I’m so sorry to all the people that I hurt,” Winters said through a flood of tears. “I’m so sorry for all the harm I caused.”

Even in apologizing, Winters made excuses for the embezzlement and hid behind her mom.

“I can’t believe I’m in this position,” she said. “My mom was dying, I don’t know what I was thinking.”

The judge didn’t buy any of Winters’ tearful explanations and called her crimes a “betrayal of trust.”

“I’m amazed you are in the position you are in now,” he said. “There was absolutely no excuse.”

The Bronx Community Pride Center closed this past summer after 16 years of operation. Board members said “economic difficulties, past debt and inability to raise” funds led to the center’s closing.

From the New York Post

No comments: