Monday, January 12, 2009

South Dakota Woman Sentenced In $100K Embezzlement Of Scholarship Funds

Donna Marie Quenzer, 49, of Lead, South Dakota, was sentenced to 7 years in prison for stealing scholarship funds from the Lead-Deadwood School District where she worked as a secretary. Quenzer, who pleaded guilty to 12 counts of "grand theft by embezzlement" in November, siphoned off funds from a number of scholarships commencing in June 2002 until April 2008, to the tune of $108,000. She was also ordered to pay restitution by the court. Quenzer, who handled the scholarships for the school district, often would send out letters to recipients that state such excuses as "the scholarship was awarded in error" and "no money available" to cover her tracks. At her sentencing hearing, Quenzer is quoted as saying, “I know I have hurt a lot of people. To this day, I cannot believe I did this.”

Read the story here, here and here.

I am sure she is real sorry now.

No comments: